Flagship Free SHS Policy Officially Takes Effect Today

Government Assisted Senior High Schools have begun receiving fresh students admitted under the free senior high school programme.

The admission process for over 350,000 students successfully placed begun over the weekend and the beneficiaries are reporting amidst lots of excitement among their parents, who are yet to acknowledge the reality, about the NPP flagship policy.

Last Friday, government began lodging 20 percent of the funds for the various schools into their accounts and the Ministry of Education says all school heads who are yet to receive theirs must notify the Ministry immediately.

Public Relations Officer of the Ministry of Education, Otor Plaha told XYZ News, there are monitoring teams on standby to respond to issues that may arise to ensure a smooth take off.
“The burden that has always been on parents is off. The schools who have not received what is expected should contact the Ministry immediately, as far as I am concerned everything has been sent directly from the Ministry of Finance to them. 20 per cent have been sent to all schools, the rest 80 percent will be sent when the schools have sent feedback to know the number of students that have gone to the school.”

Throughout last week, the Ministry and the Ghana Education Service were under pressure to create more room for over 150,000 students who could not get placement into secondary schools.

But XYZ sources at the School Placement Center say over 80 percent of them have so far been cleared and the remaining students are expected to get schools by the close of September when the grace period finally closes.