Kumasi Academy: Parents Returning Their Wards For Screening

Anxious parents who stormed Kumasi Academy Senior High School yesterday to forcibly take their wards away following news about mysterious deaths are sending them back for health screening.

There was pandemonium at the campus when some parents scared about conflicting reports about the possible cause of deaths, defied caution from school authorities and angrily took their wards home for protection.

It took the school authorities several hours to calm down the angry parents as they refused to accept explanations and assurances that students are in safe hands and the situation was under control.

Seven (7) students have so far died and initial reports have also ruled out meningitis.
Meanwhile, academic work on campus has been suspended to pave way for the vaccination of all students.

President of the KUMACA Alumni Rev Adu Gyamfi has also dispatched a medical team to the School to operate from the sick bay now converted into a clinic, as a backup. The support includes a laboratory and Pharmacy services.

XYZ News’ Ashanti regional correspondent, Jonathan Ofori reports that some angry parents are blaming authorities for negligence.

GHS Director of Public Health Dr. Badu Sarkodie has disclosed that findings on samples sent to the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research Institute will be released later on Wednesday.

“We have done all the tests for meningitis. They are negative, so it shows that the condition is not meningitis,” said Dr. Emmanuel Tenkorang, the Director of Health in the Ashanti Region who also spoke to journalists on Tuesday.

He advised that parents bear with the GHS to administer antibiotics to the students to prevent the infection from spreading.

The Ashanti Regional Minister Simon Osei Mensah also appealed to parents to allow for the vaccination of their wards before the closure of the school.

XYZ News’ Ashanti Regional correspondent, Jonathan Ofori who gave updates on the development on the Breakfast Show, Morning Xpress Wednesday morning, reported parents have returned with their wards to take part of the screening.

“They have truly understood the situation and are bringing back their children to be vaccinated,” he added.

Meanwhile, some parents have also called for a spiritual probe into the strange deaths of the students.  “Some are holding huge Bibles and have started praying,” Jonathan revealed.

Screening and Closure

The Ghana Health Service is partnering with a medical team from the World Health Organization (WHO) to screen teaching and non teaching staff as well as students and threat those infected.
The GHS team, after administering the antibiotics, will conduct an intensive survey in the school to find the possible source of the bacteria.

The Ashanti Regional Minister, Mr Osei Mensah will meet with Officials of the Ghana Education Service (GES) today, says Rev. Jonathan Bettey, the Public Relations Officer (PRO).

“The statement yesterday does not mean the school has been closed down. The school is going through traumatic feeling at this time that decision is being taking for all the children to be vaccinated, after the vaccination before a decision will be taken in collaboration with the Regional Director and the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service,” the GES PRO told Prince Minkah on the Morning Xpress.

Source: Ghana/myxyzonline.com/MorningXpress