The government of Ghana has announced it has put measures in place to “operationalise” the University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC).
A statement released on Thursday, May 31, 2018 and signed by Deputy Information Minister, Curtis Perry Okudzeto stated that: “the Government has set up an Interim Board chaired by Dr. Anarfi Asamoa-Baah to liaise with the turnkey contractor, to test run the equipment and operationalize the facility with immediate effect,”
The government said in the statement that it “shares in the public sentiment to operationalize the facility as soon as possible.”
“Government wishes to state its commitment to providing quality healthcare to the people of Ghana,” the statement added.
Below is the statement.
The the interim Board is expected between now and July 2018 to complete the staffing processes and ensure the provision of final logistics required for a smooth take-off of the facility.
The announcement follows the arrest of a final year Pharmacy student of the University of Ghana who breached security to display an #OpenUGMCnow campaign placard, as the First Lady delivered an address.
Reginald Sakyi-Brown was later granted bail after scores of students of the University of Ghana including the General Secretary of the National Union of Ghana Students massed up at the Korle Bu Police station to show solidarity.
The campaign was supported by thousands of Ghanaian social media users, particularly those living in the Greater Accra Region.
The General Secretary of the National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS), Kabu Nartey told Neil Armstrong-Mortagbe on the Morning Xpress on Thursday that the Union was preparing to hit the streets to register their displeasure on the reluctance to open the multimillion dollar facility after it was commissioned in 2016 by the former president, H.E John Mahama.
A Deputy Minister of Health, Kingsley Aboagye Gyedu, earlier this year said government needed about $50 million to complete the phase two of the project before it could be accessed.
But the Minority in Parliament kicked against the claim and referred to it as baseless.
A Deputy Ranking Member on the Health Committee of Parliament, Robert Kugnam-Lem Baba in an interview with XYZ News on Thursday, May 31 reiterated the facility was in full shape before it was commissioned.
Robert Kugnam-Lem Baba described the development as unfortunate stressing that “people are dying” because the facility is locked.
“Everything about the hospital had been completed by the previous government…that Hospital can employ a lot more people and reduce the tensions we are having in the country,” said the legislator who contended there was “no reason” to get the hospital closed.
The MP said he had personally spoken to the Israeli Ambassador to Ghana who told him he had been briefed of the facility’s readiness for use.
Story by: Henryson Okrah/myxyzonline.com/93.1MHZ