The Gypsy King was set to face Deontay Wilder in late July before COVID wreaked havoc in his training camp.
WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury seems to be on the road to recovery according to his promoter Bob Arum.
The 89-year-old spoke to Fury on Monday and believes he sounds healthier than when he visited the Gypsy King on Thursday.
Speaking to BoxingScene.com, Arum said “His spirits were OK.”
“He had congestion in his chest [Thursday]. But as of [Monday] morning, he seems much better.”
Fury’s much-anticipated fight trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder on July 24th was postponed after testing positive for COVID-19 last week and he is now expected to fly back to England for a few weeks before returning to Las Vegas to continue training camp.
Arum stated that Fury must be fully vaccinated in order to move forward with the Wilder fight.
“He got vaccinated in Miami. He got the first shot. And then he said he didn’t wanna get the second shot because he didn’t want to get sick [from the vaccination] so close to the fight. So, he got COVID instead.”
However, it seems Arum was misinformed when it came to vaccinations after telling reporters on June 15th that both Fury and Wilder were fully vaccinated.
“I knew he had one shot, and I was hoping it was Johnson & Johnson.”
“But it wasn’t. It was Moderna.”
Just one dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is required, unlike Moderna which needs two.
Fury and Wilder are now set to meet for a third time on October 9th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas where the WBC heavyweight title will be on the line.