BusinessNews

Lower Manya Krobo MP donates to youth; pledges to prioritise skills training

The Member of Parliament for Lower Manya Krobo, Ebenezer Okletey Terlabi, has urged the youth particularly school dropouts to venture into vocational training to help equip them with skills that will make them financially capable.

He said people who were trained to acquire certain skills like sewing, welding, carpentry, and catering and were gainfully employed had financial muscles than those that dropped out of school and did not learn such trades.

Mr. Terlabi made this clarion call at a brief event at his residence at Odumase Krobo in the Eastern Region on Sunday, 27 February, 2022 to donate sewing machines for some 50 young ladies who were receiving informal sewing training in the area.

Each of the 50 young women were to hand the sewing machines to their trainers to help them learn the vocation adequately and equip them later when they had finished with the training.

Terlabi, a former Eastern Regional Minister noted that some of the ladies who venture in skills training are unable to complete the 3-4 year training hence his gesture to inspire them to finish the training programme and also set up and train others in the future.

According to the 2010 Population and Housing Census, about 69.1 percent  of the population are economically active whilst the remaining 30.9 percent are economically not-active.

Although the population has grown and the figures may have declined, Mr Terlabi believes that equipping the youth will go a long way to transport human resource to neighbouring Greater Accra Region where job opportunities are common.

“I started this project some years ago to help empower the youth, especially the young ladies to be financially stable. Sometimes, some of them truncate the training and so their bosses are to keep these machines and train them with them until they successfully complete the training before they hand them over to the young ladies,” he told XYZ reporter Piesie Okrah.

The MP said the source of funding for the donation was the MPs Common Fund, adding that he had spent tens of thousands of cedis to purchase the sewing machines.

“It is not only the machines, apart from the other trainees in other trades that I have been supporting with machines, I paid for their bosses for them to train these young ones,” Mr Terlabi said in Akan.

Odumase Krobo in the Eastern region is known for its beautiful women and food basket. However, some of these young women truncate their education at JHS level.

Most of the young people who drop out of school prefer to learn a trade, mostly sewing but a chunk of them are unable to learn the trade due to financial challenges.

One may have to pay between GHS 1000- 1300 to be enrolled to learn sewing. After payment, one will need an amount of GHS 1000 to 1500 to be able to own a standard sewing machine.

In essence, an average young lady who wants to learn sewing in the area has to get between GHS 2000 to 2500 to be able to learn the skill.

It is for this reason that Mr Terlabi launched a programme a few years ago to support women and men in skills training in the area.

Mr Terlabi believes the support will help young women in the area equip themselves in life and also reduce unemployment in the area.

“Each person is expected to pay about GHS 1200 to 1300 to be able to be enrolled into this training and I paid for every apprentice in this batch,” he added.

He also advised the government to adopt the NDC’s manifesto and skills training policy to help reduce unemployment in Ghana as a whole.

Some of the beneficiaries expressed joy and pledged to take the training programme seriously and be able to establish themselves soon after they have completed learning sewing.

 

Source: Myxyzonline.com|Ghana

Back to top button