EducationNews

Minority lament Govt’s failure to complete E-blocks in Volta Region

The Minority have indicated that they would cause a probe into the 1.5 billion dollar security that was approved for the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) to undertake the completion of critical educational Facilities across the country.

Ranking Member of Parliament’s Education Committee who is also MP for Builsa South, Dr Clement Apaak, who made this known on Tonton Sansan on TV XYZ Wednesday morning stated that some critical projects in the education sector have been left to rot under the Akufo-Addo administration.

For instance, he said some e-block community day senior high schools bequeathed to the NPP government by the Mahama administration have been abandoned while students are struggling for classrooms in the region.

He told host Prince Kwame Minkah that one of the e-blocks in the Aflao area in the Ketu South Municipality in the region had been 90% completed yet the government had failed to pay the contractor to hand over the facility.

The ¢9 million project that has been abandoned in addition to other two e-block facilities were part of some 200 classroom blocks the erstwhile NDC administration started which was supposed to have some 26 classrooms attached and 5 departments including a science block.

“We went to three schools and realised they have been abandoned at a time the people need classrooms to study and do away with the obnoxious double-track system being run in our secondary schools,” he said while condemning the government for refusing the funds for their intended purposes.

“This one you’re seeing is at Aflao and it’s about 90 percent complete. It has access to electricity, pipes have been laid but it is not in use,”: Dr Apaak lamented the failure of the government to pay the contractor.

To him, “There are funds to help finish such projects” to ease pressure on the existing facilities in the second cycle institutions, but wondered why the government is delaying in completing the classroom block.

“Many GetFund contractors who are building these E-blocks have not been paid…In 2018, when a Memo was brought to Parliament to finish these projects, the purpose was very clear. The purpose was to complete essential education infrastructure aimed at reducing the pressure and reducing the numbers as part of the efforts to address the double-track system…At the time, the Minister for Education was Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh and I have the documents here,” he argued.

Dr. Apaak also stated the chief of the area had bemoaned the lack of a secondary school in the area which is making the youth cross the border to Togo to become head potters as some engage in various social vices.

Dr Apaak says his side of the House will file a motion to probe why the facilities are abandoned.

 

Source: Myxyzonline.com|Ghana

Back to top button