Parlaiment’s Health Committee to meet over high COVID-19 cases at KIA

The Health Committee in Parliament will convene soon to look at the soaring COVID-19 cases at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA).

Positive cases from travellers arriving in the country through KIA keeps rising. The management of Frontier Health Services has announced that between April 21 and 24, some 120 positive cases were recorded from arrivals.

In a letter addressed to the Managing Director of the Ghana Airport Company Limited (GACL) and copied to the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), the Managing Director of the company conducting the tests, Dr Kudzo Seneadza, indicated “On April 24, a total of 75 positive cases were recorded, exceeding the previous rate of 45 cases recorded on April 21 on arrival at the airport.”

But reacting to the development on Dwaboase on Power 97.9 FM, Member of Parliament (MP) for Afigya Kwabre North, Collins Adomako-Mensah, observed the situation was worried and needed urgent attention by the Health Ministry.

“If within three days all these people are testing positive, its worrying because these people are entering the system.” he told host Kwame Minkah and hinted Parliament would convene over the matter especially as the airport is the only approved entry used by  travellers into the country.

Asked the urgent steps to take to control the situation, Adomako-Mensah said “I’m sure the Chairman of the [Health] comittee, Dr Ayew, by this time,  would have made some one or two calls and as a committee we have to convene to have a better briefing on the details attached.”

Meanwhile a fellow of the Ghana Centre for Democratic Development (CDD-Ghana), Dr Kwame Sarpong-Asiedu, has told the Daily Graphic that the situation ought to be confronted in earnest.

According to him, risk minimisation was key to ensuring that the country decreased the likelihood of any new strains being recorded in other countries entering the country to further community spread.

He maintained that the life cycle of the COVID-19 virus was such that within the first two to five days, an infected person could test negative for both the PCR and the antigen tests if they had low viral loads, since they would still be within the latent period.

“What this means is that if we have picked up many positive cases in one day, it is more likely some infected persons may have entered the country undetected.

Therefore, we may, as a country, have to think through our monitoring mechanism and perhaps follow up on antigen tests on passengers between 48 and 72 hours after entry into the country,” Dr Sarpong-Asiedu stated.



Back to top button