Category Archives: Africa

Protestors storm Kenya’s parliament as MPs pass finance bill

Part of Kenya’s parliament building was on fire Tuesday as thousands of protesters against a new finance bill entered and legislators fled, in the most direct assault on the government in decades. Journalists saw at least three bodies outside the complex where police had opened fire.

The protesters had demanded that legislators vote against the controversial bill imposing new taxes on a country where frustrations over the high cost of living have simmered for years.

The protesters outmaneuvered police to enter parliament shortly after legislators voted to pass the bill. Lawmakers fled through a tunnel, but protesters allowed opposition legislators who voted against the bill to walk out of the besieged building.

Protesters could be heard shouting, “We’re coming for every politician.”

Police officers also fired live ammunition and threw tear-gas canisters at protesters who sought treatment at a medical tent set up at a church near the parliament complex.

The Kenya Human Rights Commission shared a video of officers shooting at protesters and said they would be held to account.

Two people died in similar protests last week.

The Kenya Law Society President Faith Odhiambo said Tuesday that 50 Kenyans, including her personal assistant, had been “abducted” by people believed to be police officers.

Some of those missing included those who were vocal in the demonstrations and were taken away from their homes, workplaces and public spaces ahead of Tuesday’s protests, according to civil society groups.

Police officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment. Parliament Speaker Moses Wetangula had directed the inspector general of police to provide information on the whereabouts of those the opposition said were abducted.

President William Ruto was outside the capital attending an African Union retreat. On Sunday, he said he was proud of the young people who had come out to exercise their democratic duty and said he would engage the youth on their concerns.

 

Source : Africanews

Christ Embassy Nigeria Headquarters destroyed by fire

The Christ Embassy building in the Oregun area of Lagos has been razed by fire.

The incident occurred on Sunday morning.

Thick black smoke was still billowing from the white edifice when TheCable visited the scene.

Personnel of the Lagos state fire and rescue service were on the scene to put out the fire.

Police have cordoned the area to prevent a breakdown of law and order.

Vehicular and pedestrian movement on the street where the church is located have been halted for the moment.

Worshippers told TheCable that morning service was immediately moved to Corner Stone — an annex of the church — due to the inferno.

A couple of worshippers said an electrical spark may have been responsible for the fire.

Led by Chris Oyakhilome, Christ Embassy is one of Nigeria’s biggest churches.

 

Source: Thecable.ng

DR Congo boat disaster kills at least 80

A shipwreck in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has killed more than 80 people, the Congolese president’s office said Wednesday.

“The President of the Republic is calling for an investigation into the true causes of this unfortunate incident, to prevent such a disaster from happening again in the future,” the office said in a statement.

The ship sank in the Kwa River, 70 kilometers away from the city of Mushie, in the province of Maï-Ndombe, according to the statement.

The president of the DRC, Félix Tshisekedi, expressed his condolences to the families of the victims.

Deadly shipwrecks are unfortunately frequent in the DRC as the country lacks road infrastructure and many people rely on boats to cross the many branches of the Congo River which runs alongside the country’s western border.

In October last year, at least 52 people were killed in the northwestern part of the country after a boat carrying more than 300 passengers capsized in the Congo River, authorities said at the time.

Another six people were killed months earlier in the DRC’s Lake Kivu after a boat carrying 150 villagers overturned.

The DRC only has one kilometer of paved road per 1,000 square kilometers compared to the 16 kilometers average for low-income countries, according to a report published by the World Bank.

Source: CNN

Kenyan Policeman shoots Magistrate in open court

A Kenyan Magistrate has been shot and injured by a senior Police officer during an open court session in the capital, Nairobi.

The chief inspector opened fire on the Makadara Principal Magistrate, Monica Kivuti as soon as she had made a ruling.

The case allegedly involved the Policeman’s wife.

The officer is said to have been angered by the court’s decision to cancel bail to his wife.

The angry officer then fired shots at the Magistrate, injuring her.

Other officers in court responded immediately, with one of them shooting the offending Policeman and killing him.

In the process, three other officers were injured, a Police situation report noted.

The magistrate and the injured officers are being treated in hospital.

The judiciary said the Magistrate had “cancelled the bond for an accused person who had jumped bond and had failed to offer satisfactory explanations for jumping bond”.

“Immediately this decision was pronounced, a person shot at the Magistrate and injured her on the hip,” it said in a statement.

It noted initial reports that indicated “that the shooter is a police officer who is married to the suspect”.

Investigations into the incident are continuing.

The judiciary has said it will enhance security measures and has assured judicial staff and other court users of their safety and security.

“As the judiciary family, we wish our colleague a quick recovery. We also send our condolences to the family of the officer who lost his life in this unfortunate incident,” said Chief Registrar of the judiciary Winfridah Mokaya.

 

Three reported killed as DR Congo military averts ‘attempted coup’

Three people have been reported killed in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DR Congo) capital following a shootout between armed men in military uniform and guards of a top politician, an incident the army described as an attempted coup.

Two police officers and one of the attackers were among those killed in the shootout that started early on Sunday.

The armed men attacked the Kinshasa residence of Vital Kamerhe, a federal legislator and a candidate for speaker of the National Assembly of DR Congo, but were stopped by his guards, Kamerhe’s spokesman Michel Moto Muhima said on social media.

“The Honorable Vital Kamerhe and his family are safe and sound,” the spokesman wrote on X.

A DR Congo military spokesman said in a televised address that the perpetrators of the failed takeover had been arrested.

Brigadier General Sylvain Ekenge told reporters the attempted coup was “nipped in the bud by Congolese defence and security forces [and] the situation is under control”.

The army said the group of people behind the attempted coup were mostly foreigners or Congolese citizens based abroad, Al Jazeera’s Alain Uaykani reported. Uaykani added that the army also said some of the suspects held US and Canadian passports.

“There is no link between these people and the local army or members of security forces in Kinshasa,” Uaykani said.

Still, he added, the attack raised concerns among the local population on how the perpetrators succeeded in entering a highly protected place and attacked a high-profile member of the government.

Local media first identified the armed men as Congolese soldiers, but then reported they were linked to self-exiled opposition leader Christian Malanga, who appeared in a live-streamed video surrounded by several people in military uniform.

“Felix, you’re out. We are coming for you,” Malanga said, referring to President Felix Tshisekedi.

Footage, seemingly from the area, showed military trucks and heavily armed men parading deserted streets in the neighbourhood.

The incident came amid a crisis gripping Tshisekedi’s governing party over an election for the parliament’s leadership which was supposed to be held on Saturday but was postponed.

On Friday, Tshisekedi met with parliamentarians and leaders of the Sacred Union of the Nation ruling coalition in an attempt to resolve the crisis amid his party which dominates the national assembly.

He said he would not “hesitate to dissolve the National Assembly and send everyone to new elections if these bad practices persist”.

Tshisekedi was re-elected as president in December in a chaotic vote amid calls for a revote from the opposition over what they said was a lack of transparency, following past trends of disputed elections in the central African country.

The embassy of the United States in DR Congo issued a security alert, urging caution after “reports of gunfire”.

Source: Aljazeera

Mosque attack in Nigeria’s north injures at least 24 people, including children

At least 24 worshippers, including four children, were injured in northern Nigeria’s Kano state after a man attacked the mosque where they were praying early Wednesday morning, resulting in an explosion, the police said.

The suspect, a 38-year-old resident of the area, confessed that he attacked the mosque in Kano’s remote Gadan village “purely in hostility following prolonged (a) family disagreement,” police spokesman Abdullahi Haruna said in a statement.

The incident caused panic in Kano, northern Nigeria’s largest state, where periodic religious-related unrest has occurred over the years, sometimes resulting in violence.

Haruna said preliminary forensic analysis suggested a gasoline explosion, but a full investigation was still ongoing.

The police have also cordoned off the scene while the injured were rushed to a hospital in the state capital.

The Daily Trust newspaper reported that the worshippers were locked inside the mosque, making it difficult to escape the explosion. It said the suspect had attacked people in the area in the past over the same family dispute.

“The disagreement (was) over sharing of inheritance of which those that he alleged to have cheated on him were in the mosque at that moment and he did that for his voice to be heard,” the police statement said.

 

Source : Africanews

South Africa building death toll soars to 32 as crews find more bodies.

In South Africa, the tragic toll of the George building collapse has reached 32, with the recovery of eight more victims on Tuesday. Currently, 20 individuals remain unaccounted for, while 13 are receiving medical care in hospitals.

Despite a week passing since the multi-story building’s collapse, the cause of this devastating event remains elusive, prompting ongoing rescue efforts and investigations by Western Cape authorities.

Public Works and Infrastructure Minister Sihle Zikalala has acknowledged the government’s limited knowledge regarding the main contractor responsible for the collapsed structure. This absence of information is legally permissible, as the company is not mandated to register with the Construction Industry Development Board when working for private clients. However, Minister Zikalala highlights the need for regulatory improvements, citing the CIDB Amendment Bill as a measure to enhance compliance and enforcement within the construction sector.

Concurrently, the South African Council for the Projects and Construction Management Professions is diligently investigating whether the contractors involved in the project were duly registered, underscoring the importance of accountability and adherence to industry standards during such tragic incidents.

 

 

Source : Africanews

 

US embassy in Tanzania closed as the country faces internet outage

The United States Embassy in Tanzania has declared a temporary closure for two days due to ongoing network problems in the country.

In an official statement, the embassy announced it will not be operational on May 14th and 15th, citing degraded network services caused by a cut submarine cable affecting Tanzania, Kenya, and other nations in East and Southern Africa.

“Due to nationwide network degradation, the embassy will be closed to the public on May 14th and 15th. Consular appointments scheduled for these days will be cancelled and rescheduled. However, the consular section will remain open for visa pickups and emergency cases involving American citizens,” stated the embassy.

Several African countries, including Kenya, are grappling with internet connectivity issues following the submarine cable cut.

This has led to slower internet speeds, prompting telecommunications companies like Safaricom to issue warnings to their customers about the disruption.

 

Source : Africanews

Chad’s opposition leader challenges the results of the presidential elections

Chad’s opposition leader says he has filed an appeal with the country’s constitutional council to challenge the preliminary results of the May 6 presidential election.

In social media posts Sunday, Succès Masra shared a copy of a receipt showing that documents had been filed with the council.

The election’s preliminary results showed President Mahamat Deby Itno won with just over 61% of the vote, and runner-up Masra had over 18.5%.

Masra, the prime minister of Chad’s transitional government, had claimed victory shortly before the announcement and alleged that election results were being manipulated. He hasn’t publicly shared evidence to support his claim.

A Chad-based human rights law expert, Rakimdon Jacques Houitouto, told The Associated Press that if the constitutional council finds Masra’s case convincing, it will consider cancelling the results. It was not clear when the council might decide on the claim.

Chad held its long-delayed election following three years of military rule. Analysts widely expected the incumbent to win. Deby Itno, also known as Mahamat Idriss Deby, had seized power after his father, who spent three decades in power, was killed fighting rebels in 2021.

The oil-exporting country of nearly 18 million people hasn’t had a democratic transfer of power since it became independent in 1960 after decades of French colonial rule.

Masra, president of The Transformers opposition party, fled Chad in October 2022. The military government at the time suspended his party and six others in a clampdown on protests against Deby Itno’s decision to extend his time in power by two more years. More than 60 people were killed in the protests, which the government condemned as “an attempted coup.”

An agreement between the country’s minister of reconciliation and Masra’s political party late last year allowed the exiled politician and other opposition figures to return to Chad. He was later appointed prime minister.

 

Source : Africanews

More than 110 civilians kidnapped by “suspected jihadists”

Local groups and an official in Mali are calling for the release of more than 110 people kidnapped by suspected jihadists some 6 days ago.

They told the AFP news agency that three buses carrying the civilians were stopped by the group of men in the centre of the country and forced to head towards a forest between Bandiagara and Bankass.

An elected official from Bandiagara, who asked to remain anonymous for security reasons, says the buses and passengers are still being held captive.

The worsening security situation has been compounded by a humanitarian and political crisis.

The violence spilled over into neighbouring Burkina Faso and Niger, with all three countries seeing military regimes seize power in recent years.

 

 

Source :Aficanews

Ethiopian distance runner and Olympic finalist Zerfe Wondemagegn banned 5 years for doping.

A runner from Ethiopia who reached the 3,000-meter steeplechase final at the Tokyo Olympics, and narrowly missed the world championship podium last year, has been banned for five years after testing positive for two banned substances.

Zerfe Wondemagegn admitted breaking anti-doping rules after samples she gave flagged up traces of testosterone and another substance, EPO, which can help athletes’ blood transport more oxygen, the Athletics Integrity Unit said in a ruling published on Monday.

Wondemagegn was eighth at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021 and fourth at the 2023 world championships in Budapest. Two of the three samples in her case were taken while she was in Hungary for the event and she has been disqualified from the competition.

Wondemagegn’s is the latest in a series of doping cases in distance running.

The 2022 world champion in women’s steeplechase, Norah Jeruto, is facing a doping hearing in June, five weeks before the Paris Olympics. World Athletics is appealing against an earlier decision to clear the runner, who was born in Kenya and competes for Kazakhstan. She has argued ulcers and a bout of COVID-19 can explain irregular blood test results.

Also Monday, the AIU reported a three-year ban for Kenyan road runner Celestine Chepchirchir, who tested positive for testosterone.

 

 

Source : Africanews

Many displaced as floods wreak havoc in Kenya.

Heavy rains and flooding in Kenya caused more destruction in several parts of the country on Thursday.

Local media reports have put the death toll from flooding in recent days at 11, with over two thousand people displaced.

“We have people who have been internally displaced, who don’t have a place to call home, no roof on top of their heads, their farmlands have been submerged,” sqid Willis Omulo, a resident of Homa Bay in the country’s west.

”We are also talking about high rates of wildlife animal conflict. Here we are talking about hippos that are marauding within the community, scavenging for pasture because their grazing lands have been submerged. This is really a threat to the community and [is] causing a lot of insecurity,” he added.

Kenya’s meteorological department had warned the country was set to experience very high rainfall and asked people to prepare for floods.

In Kirinyaga county, flood waters swept away community roads paralysing transport services.

On Tuesday, 51 passengers were rescued after their bus was swept away by floodwaters on a bridge in northern Kenya.

 

Source : Africanews