Category Archives: Showbiz

Most Ghanaian companies are always reluctant to sponsor gospel musician – Diana Hamilton

Renowned Ghanaian gospel artist Diana Hamilton has shed light on the financial challenges her colleague musicians face in the industry.

Speaking in an interview on ‘X Zone’ on TV XYZ, the songstress disclosed that most companies in Ghana are often reluctant to sponsor gospel events, which makes it difficult for the industry to thrive.

Hamilton told host Afia Owusu that some companies sometimes refuse to sponsor gospel events outrightly, while others disapprove of it.

The “Adom” hitmaker indicated the attitude of the owners of the firms result in a limited pool of companies willing to support gospel events.

“You will encounter companies that outrightly say they don’t sponsor gospel events. There are also those who frown upon sponsoring gospel, leading to a scarcity of companies willing to sponsor.”

She could not tell wether the the phenomenon is purely based on low returns one could get from sponsoring gospel events or the sector was not lucrative.

Touching on her role as a brand ambassador for both Awake drinking water and Enterprise Life Insurance, Diana attributed her success in securing those deals to “divine intervention.”

 

Watch the video below; 

 

Actor Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty to new involuntary manslaughter charge over Halyna Hutchins’s Rust shooting

Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter over the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.

Ms Hutchins was shot dead on the set of Rust, a forthcoming Western filmed near Santa Fe in New Mexico in October 2021.

Mr Baldwin, 65, had been practicing firing a pistol for a scene.

Similar charges were dropped in April, just two weeks before he was due to go on trial, but New Mexico prosecutors say there is new forensic evidence.

The actor entered the not guilty plea in a court filing on Wednesday, a day before a scheduled virtual court appearance in a Santa Fe court, which will now not take place.

He was charged on 19 January in New Mexico after local prosecutors said “additional facts” had emerged from forensic tests on the weapon used in the shooting, in which director Joel Souza was also wounded.

Mr Baldwin has maintained he did not pull the trigger of the Colt .45 pistol and only drew back its hammer.

He has also argued he is not at fault for Ms Hutchins’ death because he did not know the weapon contained live rounds and because no live ammunition was supposed to be on set.

But special prosecutors in New Mexico said in October that they had commissioned forensic experts to reconstruct the weapon, after it had been broken during FBI testing.

They said doing so had revealed that the incident could only have taken place if the trigger had been pulled.

“Although Alec Baldwin repeatedly denies pulling the trigger, given the tests, findings and observations reported here, the trigger had to be pulled or depressed sufficiently to release the fully cocked or retracted hammer of the evidence revolver,” their report concluded.

The actor – who has expressed “shock and sadness” at Ms Hutchins’ death – said in recent court filings that he had struggled to find acting work since the incident.

When prosecutors dropped involuntary manslaughter charges in April they warned that they could be refiled as investigations continued.

 

Source :BBC

 

Mr. Ibu’s children arrested over alleged theft of medical donations.

Two of popular Nigerian actor John Okafor’s children have been arrested for allegedly stealing money raised to pay for his hospital fees last year.

Known as Mr Ibu, the 62-year-old had a leg amputated in November after fans had donated to a crowd-funding scheme.

His son Daniel Okafor and adopted daughter Jasmine Chioma are accused of hacking into his phone and taking $60,700 (£47,800) for themselves.

The pair have not commented since their arrest in the city of Lagos.

The police issued a statement about their arrest and their investigation into the alleged fraud after the siblings appeared at a bailing hearing on Thursday.

A court said the two could be freed if a $17,000 bond was posted. They remain in custody.

The police’s criminal investigation unit said it had discovered that they had allegedly installed an app on their father’s phone after the fund-raising began.

This allegedly enabled them to start transferring money out of his account.

They are expected to appear in court on 11 March for the next hearing.

Mr Ibu’s health issues first came to public attention last October, when the family posted a video on social media of the Nollywood star celebrating in hospital. In the clip he asked his fans for help with medical bills, eliciting a huge response.

The actor became famous 20 years ago in the Nigerian comedy Mr Ibu – which became his nickname. It is still regarded as one of the best Nigerian performances in a comic role.

He went on to act in several other notable movies in Nollywood, as Nigeria’s multi-billion-dollar film industry is known, in a career that has spanned more than two decades.

The star told a local newspaper a few years ago that he had a total of 13 children some of whom were adopted.

 

 

Source:BBC

There’s no money in award schemes -CEO Ghana Music Awards USA

CEO of Ghana Music Awards USA, Don D, lamented the lack of profitability in award schemes. While discussing the Ghana Music Awards USA, Don D disclosed that he hasn’t generated any income from the awards since its inception.

The scheme began during the COVID-19 pandemic, and in the second and third years, they faced similar financial challenges. It was only in their fourth year, which was last year, that they managed to break even.

“We started the award scheme during the COVID period, and in the second year, there was still COVID, but the third year, we broke even. However, last year, we ran at a loss, and we ended up in debt. Award schemes don’t make money,” he explained.

Speaking to Afia Owusu, professionally known as Afia Coke, on TV XYZ, the CEO revealed that he has personally invested over $200,000 to fund GMA USA.

“I have not made money from organizing the Ghana Music Awards USA. I can tell you with authority that I’ve invested over $200,000 out of my pocket over the four years and am still spending, but I haven’t made a dollar back,” he emphasized.

 

Watch the video below; 

 

24 hour economy is not well communicated; Ghanaians do not understand – Cwesi Oteng

Gospel musician Cwesi Oteng has cautioned the NDC, pointing out that their 24-hour economy policy is poorly communicated, resulting in a lack of understanding among Ghanaians.

“The 24-hour economy is a great idea, and to tell you the truth, Ghanaians are willing to understand what the 24-hour economy policy is,” he expressed during an interview on Xzone on TV XYZ with Afia Coke.

According to the gospel musician, the NDC needs to emphasize a flagship idea within the 24-hour economy concept and concentrate their message on that, advising them to refrain from excessive talking.

While acknowledging the positive aspect of the 24-hour economy policy, he admitted to hearing about it but not knowing the specifics. “Of course, they are talking, but I think that when it comes to politics, don’t say too many things. Pick a flagship idea from your many concepts and champion that idea rather than talking excessively. I only hear 24-hour economy; I don’t hear the specifics,” he added.

Cwesi Oteng advises that anyone who supports the NDC should grasp the essence of his statements and refrain from excessive talking.

Drawing a parallel between the 24-hour economy policy and Free SHS, the celebrated gospel musician disclosed that the NPP, in contrast to the NDC, didn’t engage in extensive discourse but instead focused on pushing the Free SHS agenda, which gained widespread attention.

“Any person who supports the NDC should grasp the essence of what I’m saying instead of talking excessively. The NPP wasn’t talking excessively; they picked Free SHS, and it was everywhere,” he concluded.

 

 

Watch the video below; 

 

I will vote for the NDC only if their policies are better than the NPP – Cwesi Oteng

Celebrated gospel musician, Cwesi Oteng, firmly expressed that he would cast his vote for the NDC only if their policies surpass those presented by the NPP.

“If the NDC presents a policy that I find better than the policy that the NPP is presenting or a policy that the CPP or whoever is presenting, I will definitely vote for the NDC,” he asserted.

As the country enters an election year, Cwesi Oteng explained that he is actively listening and observing political parties to discern which one aligns best with his ideals and desires. He emphasized that his vote is open to any political party that presents the most favorable policies.

During a discussion about his political inclinations with Afia Owusu, widely known as Afia Coke, on Xzone on TV XYZ, Mr. Oteng disclosed that he remains nonpartisan, prioritizing Ghana above all. However, he stressed that no artist would vote for a political party that fails to address the issues affecting the nation.

“As I sit here, I don’t belong to any party, and I’m listening to everybody and watching what everybody is saying. I’m not partisan; Ghana first. We are not going to vote for people who are not coming to solve our problems,” he added.

Watch the video below; 

I elevated the financial standard in the gospel industry -Cwesi Oteng

Renowned gospel musician, Hermon Cyrus Kwesi Nhyira Oteng, popularly known as Cwesi Oteng, revealed that he played a pivotal role in elevating the financial standards within the gospel industry.

During an interview with Afia Owusu, professionally known as Afia Coke, on Xzone on TV XYZ, the “God Wey Dey Bless Me” hitmaker shared that he was the first Ghanaian gospel artist to charge 15 Ghana cedis and implement a 50 cedis ticket fee for his events.

According to Cwesi Oteng, he pioneered the shift towards higher compensation for gospel artists within the industry.

Cwesi Oteng emphasized his early adoption of charging 15 cedis for gospel music performances and introducing a 50 cedis ticket fee. Additionally, he claimed to be the first artist to provide financial compensation ranging from 200 to 300 cedis to fellow gospel artists, a practice that was uncommon during that period.

 

 

Watch the video below; 

 

 

The actor suggested that citizens need to be mindful of their actions and consider the collective impact on the economy

Comic actor Kalybos has voiced his opinion that Ghanaians are contributing to the current hardships in the country.

While acknowledging global difficulties, the Ghanaian actor who campaigned for Nana Addo and NPP, emphasized that in Ghana, business practices are making life challenging for citizens.

He said, “Talking about the economy now, it’s crazy how things are going. This is not the Ghana we know.” He pointed out the difficulties citizens face due to inflation and the overall economic challenges.

Kalybos highlighted the impact of inflation on basic goods, citing an example of a drink he used to buy for GHc15, which has now surged to $35 in a short period.

He conveyed his dissatisfaction with the situation, stating, “We all know there is hardship and inflation is crazy, but how can normal citizens be complaining about this and be aiding to make the economy hard?

In his view, individuals are not helping the economy due to their pursuit of personal, selfish gains when he added that “we are also not helping the economy much with our individual personal selfish gains.

The actor suggested that citizens need to be mindful of their actions and consider the collective impact on the economy

 

 

 

By: Afia Owusu/myxyzonline.com/Ghana

Ghanaian music is not heard in the diaspora — Ceo, Ghana Music Awards USA

CEO of Ghana Music Awards USA, Dennis Boafo, popularly known as Don D, has revealed that Ghanaian music is not being played in the diaspora.

Speaking to Afia Owusu, known in the showbiz space as Afia Coke, on Xzone, Don D asserted that Ghanaian music is only played in Ghanaian homes and not in the mainstream. Citing an example, he said “Terminator” by King Promise is a good song but it has never been played outside Ghana, on TV, or radio.

“Ghanaian music is only played in Ghanaian homes. I play only Ghanaian music; I don’t play any other music apart from Ghanaian music. ‘Terminator’ is doing well in Ghanaian homes, but we need to push him out there; it needs to be in stores. When I say stores, I want you to go to a departmental store, a clothing line, Walmart, radio, and TV, then his music is playing. No Ghanaian artist has their songs in the mainstream in America,” he said.

He further stated that Ghanaians prefer talking over showing actions. However, Ghanaian artists must be intentional with their promotion.

“Ghanaian artists should be intentional about their promotion; Ghanaians talk too much instead of taking actions,” he added.

 

watch video below; 

 

Burna Boy to perform at 2024 Grammys

African Giant  Burna Boy is scheduled to perform at the 2024 GRAMMYs on Sunday, February 4th at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, USA.

The Recording Academy announced on Monday, January 22 that the ‘City Boy’ hitmaker will perform at the Grammys alongside notable musicians such as Luke Combs and Travis Scott.

The Academy shared the exciting news via their official X handle, stating, “Attention: African Giant @BurnaBoy will take the #GRAMMYs stage on Sunday, February 4th at 8 PM ET / 5 PM PT on @CBS.”

https://x.com/RecordingAcad/status/1749260994252099859?s=20

Burna Boy has been nominated for three Grammy awards at the 66th edition. His nominations include Best Melodic Rap Performance for ‘Sittin’ On Top Of The World,’ Best Global Music Performance for ‘Alone,’ and Best African Music Performance for ‘City Boys.’

‘Things we do for love’ actor, Vincent Mccauley dead

A GLORIOUS MAGNIFICENT TRANSITION.

It is with a thankful heart that we announce the ushering into the presence of God Almighty, our son, brother, uncle and friend; Vincent E. McCauley, (now of Blessed Memory) on Monday 15 January 2024.

His was a glorious magnificent transition, having the great privilege to see and encounter Heaven.

At Perfect Peace, our Vincent now has Eternity of Rest. He leaves a large void and will be greatly missed.

The family is grateful for the time you spent with us, dear Vincent! You were a gem, a gift straight from God and you were greatly loved and cherished.

However, God loves you most perfectly. We thank sincerely all those who genuinely cared and loved him too.

The family.

For further information, please contact
PaJohn Dadson

Tiwa Savage reports Davido to police for threats over her life

Celebrated Nigerian Afrobeat singer Tiwa Savage, has filed a police report against colleague Davido, citing threat of assault and grievous bodily harm.

According to the police report dated January 9th, 2024 which has been shared online, Tiwa Savage alleges that Davido told his mutual connections to warn her to “be careful in Lagos because he was going to f**k me up”.

Detailing the genesis of the matter, Tiwa Savage shared that “on the 23rd of December, I made a post which included myself and Sophia Momodu (Davido’s ex and baby mama) on my Instagram Story- a feature on Instagram which allows you to put up a post for twenty-four hours, and MR. DAVID ADELEKE sent messages to my manager who’s also part of his management team that I shouldn’t worry and should never say a word to him and that I was taunting him, uttering very disrespectful, malicious  and derogatory words to my person.

Tiwa adds that “the events of that day have also led to a barrage of calls and messages from our mutual connections, asking me what I did to MR. DAVID ADELEKE that he’s upset that I choose to maintain a relationship with Imade’s mother, Sophia Momodu who he’s having issues with and also painting the exchange to look like I was the aggressor. He has also told our mutual connections to wam me to “be careful in Lagos because he was going to f**k me up”.

Tiwa Savage adds that she’s “therefore would like to make this complaint, and to state that in the event that anything untoward or harmful were to happen to me or any member of my family, I will like the members of the Nigerian Police Force to hold MR. DAVID ADELEKE responsible.”

The woes between the two Afrobeats superstars started a couple of days ago when fans noticed the two had unfollowed each other on Instagram.

While there were many speculations on the matter, the details of this police report gives more insight into the matter.

Meanwhile, Tee Billz, Tiwa Savage’s ex husband and father to their son Jamil, has sent out multiple messages on social media warning Davido to stay away from his family.

Read full report below;

Dear Sir,

URGENT INTERVENTION REQUIRED- THREAT OF ASSAULT AND GRIEVOUS BODILY HARM BY MR. DAVID ADELEKE

I am writing to bring to your attention a distressing situation involving myself, Tiwatope Omolara Savage, popularly known as Tiwa Savage and MR. DAVID ADELEKE popularly known as Davido.

On the 23rd of December, I made a post which included myself and Sophia Momodu on my Instagram Story- a feature on Instagram which allows you to put up a post for twenty-four hours, and MR. DAVID ADELEKE sent messages to my manager who’s also part of his management team that I shouldn’t worry and should never say a word to him and that I was taunting him, uttering very disrespectful, malicious  and derogatory words to my person.

I responded to MR. DAVID ADELEKE’s message and told him not to reach out to me especially as I feel like I have been there for him and his daughter, Imade and more importantly when he lost his son.

The events of that day have also led to a barrage of calls and messages from our mutual connections, asking me what I did to MR. DAVID ADELEKE that he’s upset that I choose to maintain a relationship with Imade’s mother, Sophia Momodu who he’s having issues with and also painting the exchange to look like I was the aggressor. He has also told our mutual connections to wam me to “becareful in Lagos because he was going to f**k me up”.

This is beginning to feel like some form of online and offline harassment not just to me but also members of my team.

The actions of MR. DAVID ADELEKE are unethical and can be viewed as a direct thrilat to my rights to life, privacy and dignity of my person as guaranteed in Chapter 4 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), and are also in contravention of Section 24(2)(a) of the Cybercrime (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015.

I therefore would like to make this complaint, and to state that in the event that anything untoward or harmful were to happen to me or any member of my family, I will like the members of the Nigerian Police Force to hold MR. DAVID ADELEKE responsible.

I am available to answer any questions or provide any additional information regarding thi: matter.

Please find attached screenshot images of the exchange between myself and MR. DAVID ADELEKE for your perusal.

Thank you in anticipation of your prompt response and attention to this matter.

By: Afia Owusu//Myxyzonline.com//Ghana